Obnoxious

I thought I would share a story about a regular coffee drinker who comes into Starbucks.
Let's call him Bob.
Bob is outgoing, he comes in with a smile.
He was assumed to be a genuine person even though he is in Business College which usually equals pretentious, or at least it does in SK.

So, it's finals season (last year) and Bob comes in and he is FRAZZLED, losing his mind telling me about how stressed out he is and how hard business school is and how i wouldn't understand because I am in Arts. I tried to get him to breathe and i offered him some advice "oh Bob chill out! Its finals! Midterms are much more stressful, they are in the middle of school and require you to know more details about the course up to that point, finals tend to be more broad, you will do fine!.....

Bob replies " with all due respect, that is the stupidest f*$#ing thing I have ever heard."
I am shocked and respond with "with all due respect, you will not be receiving coffee from me this evening" and I walked away.

So Bob kept coming in frequently and i decided that i had nothing nice to say so I would say nothing at all... then this term of school arrived and I thought Hey! Let's give him another chance.

The other day Bob is in and he orders a tea, he is in with the girl from commerce that I think I have talked about before... she is really sweet but hangs out with douchebags? Anyways, they are at the sugar station and she is making fun of him for ordering tea...
Bob explains to her that Starbucks has the most renowned tea in the world.
I couldn't help but offer my educated opinion.
I said something to the effect of " renowned...?!!?? renowned for what? exploiting the poor and getting rich? Do you know that Starbucks is a completely unethical company that buys their coffee at large conferences for basically pennies, and then sells it to you for 5 dollars a pop? and that they tell their customers that they work with the farmers but its just a bunch of green washing?"
he looks at the girl and says "wow it looks like I should be a PR for Starbucks, I could make great money convincing people like her that Starbucks is a decent company."
and then he continues to tell me this...
"wanna know what i did this summer?"
I guess I don't have a choice.
"I was a PR for an oil drilling company, it was my job to inform people about all the wonderful things that this company was doing for communities and the environment. Wanna know where this company was drilling for oil?"
I guess I don't have a choice.
"they were drilling in the rain forest of Peru!"
I couldn't help it... I glared at him as hard as I could and i said "you are part of the problem, goodbye." and i walked away only to hear
"hey! don't hate me!" laughing.
he has come in twice since then. and i have ignored him twice.
He apparently came in the other day while I was off and started an argument with one of the girls about the amount of caffeine in coffee compared to tea.

1 comments:

Full & Happy Heart said...

oh people people people. what are we going to do with ourselves.

Post a Comment